City Pulse

First telephone line in Bangalore

Year.2014

Telephones appear to have been installed in the Cantonment area around 1881. In 1896, a line of 11 miles between Heseraghatta reservoir and Banavara was laid at a cost of Rs 4000. In 1898, telephone links were used extensively in the anti-plague operations in the city. The Bangalore-Mysore line was laid in 1912 and by 1918 there were telephone lines to a length of 92 miles in Bangalore city.